Saturday, October 17, 2009

Home again, and yet homesick

Yes, we are home again, yet our hearts, minds and prayers will forever be in Kenya!



I returned home on Oct 5th and had surgery at U of M hospital on Oct 7th. I was sad to leave Kenya, but so thankful for a great American hospital. I have broken the fibula bone in two places, so the Dr. "installed" a plate with four screws. He and Mauro got into a dicussion about self-tapping screws which Mauro tried to convey to me upon awakening from surgery, but I was having none of that discussion! The inside ligement that had snapped was healing nicely so he didn't have to sew it. Overall, I am doing much better with the pain now, and I only need the meds a couple times a day. Thank you so much for all your prayers, cards, and meals! Mauro and I are overwhelmed by your generosity and kindness.



As I read Elizabeth's post, I am reminded of all the work we have to do! There are so many needs, that we could never meet them all; but God in His mercy will direct us where to focus our energies. We encountered many more children who need to be sponsored, both for basic sustainance and for school fees. Please let me know if the Lord is leading you to be one of those sponsors.



I have to comment on the team this year. It was very evident that God choose this team. Each brought their own unique gifts and talents with them.


  • Elizabeth was clearly there to help the teachers at the the Luther Academy. Her giftedness in teaching and loving children was a great blessing to all she encountered. She also went above and beyond by painting my toenails and washing my hair for me before I left! Thanks Elizabeth! You have a true servant heart.

  • Shani used her gifts of compassion and organization to touch the hearts of the children and help the teachers to more organized. Shani, you blog was beautiful and I wanted to cry along with you for the children of Kibera.

  • Rockie was in "seventh heaven!" I am so glad that he was able to use the gifts God has given him to lay tile, paint, and whatever else was needed at the school. What a blessing you were Rockie to the young men that you mentored!
  • Sue was a women 'possessed' I'm told as she unloaded that cargo carrier! I didn't see it, but anyone wo knows Sue, knows that she puts her whole heart and soul (and back!) into a project. Thank you Sue for your strength, not only of body, but of character. And thank you for leaving Kenya early to be my nursemaid on the way home!
  • Karen was our rock. Her wisdom and kindness saw us through. She was a great blessing to the people of Kenya who needed medical attention, and to me! She was right there with me when I fell and I trusted her wisdom and calming presence the entire time. Thanks Karen! You know I miss you already!

I praise the Lord of the Harvest for sending us and I thank all who contributed to make it possible. Look for future presentations and new items for sale!

No comments: